Liver ailments include gallstones jaundice, hepatitis and biliousness.Gaze deeply into any romantic Frechman eyes and ask him from whence spring his tenderest emotions and you will be disappointed when breathing garlic and red wine lustily upon you he admits to it being his liver rather than his heart.This is not surprising for without the proper functioning of this vital organ no self respecting Frenchman can enjoy his food that other basic fundamental of his life and it is usually as a result of an excess in this area that the poor old liver does falter.Tradition has it that coffee, red wine, brandy and rich foods all contribute to a sluggish liver and the resulting queasiness and jaundiced outlook on life when we do not seem to be feeling at our best.That is the liverishness for which Mr Carter used to make his Little Liver Pills.
Sensible suggestions for improving this state of affairs are numerous cut out coffee and tea, eat more fruit and vegetables, drink plenty of soda water or sparkling mineral water eat more garlic, take more exercise.The very nicest of them all is to enjoy a good laugh every morning when you rise from bed.
A Cleansing Approach
Fast for two days taking only many glasses of sparkling mineral water with the juice of 1/2 lemon squeezed into each.Pick a weekend or a time when you will be fairly inactive.
* Try a diet of grapes only for one day or more if necessary.They do cleanse the system wonderfully well.
* Take Garlic capsules daily.
* When feeling really out of sorts drink only water and apple juice every two hours.
* Green cocktail, sunset slinger Take either of these by the wineglass daily.Alternatively mix together equal quantities of carrot, beetroot and celery juice.
* An excellent salad Prepare yourself a large plateful of beetroot, raddish, dandelion leaves, chicory, fennel and artichoke.
* Apple cider vinegar or pure lemon juice Add 1 teaspoon to a small wineglass of warm with a very little honey and take every three hours as needed.
* Dandelion and hops A tea made with equal parts of each is every therapeutic and drinkable.So are fennel, tansy, agrimony and camomile teas.
* Lettuce Chew angelica as a digestive but not last thing at night or it could stop you sleeping.
The most obviously painful of the conditions associated with the liver and the gall bladder, gallstones are first recognized by sharp pains in the side and chest a feeling of distension and discomfort general queasiness and a tendency to biliousness.There is no doubt that if you are fat female and over 40 you will be diagnosed as having gallstones.It therefore comes as something of a relief to know that this chauvinistic attitude is now considered misplaced but nevertheless a poor diet leading to excess weight little exercise and a disposition to harbour ill will or to become stressed do encourage the formation of gallstones.Those phrases which trip off the tongue it gall me as bitter as gall all relate to an unhappy frame of mind and these negative emotions have a physical result in that they stop the bile flowing freely.The old fashioned cure for this was for the victim to drink a 1/2 pint of olive oil at one intake thus stimulating the gall bladder to secrete bile which would take small stones with it.It also kept your mind on other things.
A regular intake of artichokes asparagus, kelp and barley water is to be preferred to the remedy which might have been used a century or less ago of nine lice eaten on bread.These were supposed to make their way straight to the gall bladder where they set to work on the problem.As it was firmly believed that gallstones were caused by fright and would be dispelled by fright, this latter solution must surely have been successful.
Do not take strong purgatives but keep the bowels open by eating plenty of prunes and figs.
* Olive oil and pure lemon juice Take 1 tablespoon of each every 15 minutes until 200ml of oils and several lemons have been consumed.
* Pack the painful area with warm compress, poultices or a hot water bottle.Use Epsom salts in bath to ease pain.
* Essential oils of rosemarry, nutmeg, lemon, camphor,hyssop and eucalyptus These can all be used in a carrier oil, to rub the aching area or the soles of the feet.This will relieve stress.Many of the liniments to be found under Aches and Pains will also bring relief and warmth.
* Horseradish Make the leaves into a tea.Couch grass was also recommended to break up both gallstones and kidney stones.
Jaundiced is the way you look when you have something wrong with your liver and from the layman point of view that is the most simple way to explain it.The cause must be investigated by a professional for it may be a sympton of hepatitis or a problem associated with the gall bladder or it may be the use of certain drugs which has given the yellow hue to the skin and a dingy tinge to the eyes.
Yellow jaundice is not an illness in itself but judging by the remedies suggested for treating it the ancient medics obviously felt that sympathetic medicine in the form of anything golden yellow could be used.These ranged from copious quantities of carrot juice to wormwood, horehound, sheep dung, ale and rum all stewed up in water and also included all the yellow plants amber, gold cloth, walnuts, wormseed and brimstone after surviving which you could survive anything One of the medicines prescribed to cure jaundice was a purgative made a camomile, senna, ginger and jalapand it is presumably from this source that the slang word for medicine jollop arose.You can make yourself feel more comfortable by eating asparagus, globe artichokes and kelp and by drinking a great deal of barley water.You may also add Epsom salts to your bath water to relieve the aches and pains but I do not think that the very ancient remedy of dropping an uncorked bottle of your urine into a stream and waiting hopefully for your yellow appearance to die away as do the waters in the stream will bring much comfort.If you had hepatitis this could be positively antisocial.
One old country remedy involved taking the first milk from the cow after calving and giving it to the patient.Such milk is full of good things not to be found in any other milking so this remedy is not as improbable as it sounds.