We are in the habit, much to the medical professions annoyance, of attributing every unaccustomed twinge and pain from backache to headache and nausea to a bit of trouble with the kidneys.Problems affecting the kidneys, especially if it is an inability to pass water or the searing pain of cystitis, are a matter for professional advice and the remedies below are given purely to bring comfort and relief if you are feeling sluggish and low with that unpleasant feeling that your body needs a good de coke.
Cleansing the System
* Honey, hot water and lemon juice Taken every morning and night this will act as a deterrent to kidney and
* Watercress, parsley, grapes and runner beans Eat plenty of these which are especially beneficial if you are prone to gravel.Have lots and tots to drink but not too much tea and coffee which will only make you feel more sluggish. Barley
water or just water are hard to beat.
* Cranberry juice Drink a 225rnl glass every morning.
* Melon, pumpkin and marrow The flesh of melon, the seeds of pumpkin and the juice of marrow all act as purifiers. A tea made from watermelon pips was considered an excellent remedy for women who found their bladders to be
weak after childbirth.
* Asparagus Eat plenty of asparagus as it is a good diuretic.
* Dandelion tea and leaves Dandelion is a marvellous tonic.Try also the Excellent Salad described under Liver Dis-
orders and aldd plenty of chopped chives for extra benefit.
* Strawberry juice Strain to remove the pips and drink with plenty of mineral water.
* Parrnaips Both the vegetable and the juice are recommended.
* Mangoes These were used by expatriates in the Far flung corners of our one time Empire to remedy kidney
problems caused by an excess of alcohol.
* Cardoon This large thistle very similar to the globe artichoke is used as a powerful diuretic to remedy kidney
and liver disorders.
* Slues Their juice or the water in which they have been cooked will help dispel cystitis and gravel and improve
the working of the kidneys.
Kidney stones, usually quite minute, are a more common problem than people realize but they make themselves Felt as they are being expelled from the body.A sharp pain in the side.lower back or abdomen over a period of days or weeks may denote the presence of kidney stones and you should seek professional advice to ensure that they do not cause damage to the kidneys.Except in dire circumstances a physician will usually recommend that they be allowed to disperse naturally.In the meantime drink large quantities of water and consider the following.
Drinks to Soothe and Cure
* Beetroot Beet tops and beetroot taken daily is an old fashioned suggestions for dissolving kidney stones.
A Tea to Relieve Kidney Pains
25g each grated asparagus root,
fennel bulb, parsley root and celery
600ml boiling water
Cover the grated vegetables and herbswith the water and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Strain and serve with a dash lemon juice. Drink 1 small glass before meals for 3 days when discomfort.
* Burdock, tansy, dandelion, marsh mallow root and urva ursi Mix together 25g of each and take 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of boiling water to disperse gravel.
*Nettles and tansy Add 1 handful of each of the fresh herbs to 1 litre of water.Boil for 10 minutes and drink a small cupful every four hours.
* Linseed Boil 4 tablespoons of linseed in 1 litre of water then strain and drink the liquid with lemon and honey.It will soothe all kidney disorders.
* Sweetcorn A tea made with the silky tassels from the sweetcorn cob is a very old fashioned and universal cure for irritations of the urinary tract.
* Glycerine Take 1 tablespoon of glycerine on an empty stomach.
* Parsley piert This plant was known as break stone to the old fashioned herbalist.Take 25g in 600ml of boiling water.
* Kill or cure My French brother in law dispersed his kidney stones by drinking daily several glasses of his own rough Norman cider.
Most parents will have had a child wetting the bed and once the child is of an age to know better this becomes an infrequent occurence only happening when they are ill or unhappyOccasionally it is caused by a child being a very heavy sleeper or as a result of pressure on the bladder.In the latter case if it persists, professional advice should be taken for reassurance as there may be a long-standing and unnoticed problem. It is my opinion that the worst thing you can do when a child wets the bed is to make a fuss and blow up the whole thing out of proportion which will only exacerbate the problem.Many people believe that bedwetting has its cause in a lack of calcium and magnesium so ensure that plenty of good greenstuff, milk and yoghurt are included in the diet. Avoid refined foods and additives, particularly junk foods.
Children need a lot of exercise, both physical and mental, but they do not need problems and if you think that a
tasty niggling worry is at the bottom of this minor disaster try to get your child to tell you about it.Attention at nighttime a story, a small game and plenty of kisses and cuddles to reassure may be tiring and time consuming but they are far less so and far more rewarding than washing sheets. However as a last resort a rubber sheet under the
bedlinen to protect the mattress is a better alternative than the old-fashioned beastly devices of tying a bandage
around the child’s chest with a big knot in it to ensure a restless sleep or waking he child every hour or so to insist that hey spend a penny which really can institute a major problem. One remedy which does appear to work very well on children is to massage the areas of the kidneys and lower abdomen with warm olive oil before bed. It is a very old fahioned and successful idea.
Both Adults and children should exercise a little before bedtime to relieve pressure on the bladder. Some Yoga positions are designed specifically to achieve this.
It is obviously foolhardy to give bedtime drinks to a child who wets the bed.Nevertheless soothing possets given half
an hour beforehand will ensure dreamless sleep it may be that nightmares.especially the ones which they cannot
remember, are the problem. Make sure they spend a penny before tucking in.
* Hat milk A small cup of hot milk with honey and cinnamon is simple and soothing.
* Infusion of sweetcorn and honey As in the case of asparagus and golden rod tea this remedy should only be taken well in advance of bedtime. St ]ohn’s wort and plantain made into a small tea will also help. Adults should take ladys mantle tea.
* Cream of tartar Dissolve 1 teaspoon in 500ml of boiling water and sweeten with honey and lemon.Take by the small glass. This could possibly be preferable to Epsom salts but both may be especially effective when constipation is causing the problem.
* A long term remedy Take 15g of nettle seeds and 50g of fresh rye flour, pound them to a paste with honey and form into small cakes.Bake them in a low oven until cooked. Eat one every evening until the problem stops which
should be no longer than three weeks.
This is a very uncomfortable and painful condition caused by inflammation of the bladder.The symptoms are an aching pain in the lower back and abdomen and the most fiery pain when passing water.The inflammation and infection may pass to the kidneys so you must seek professional advice.If you receive antibiotics in treatment you would be well advised to eat a large pot of plain live yoghurt daily as a precaution against vaginal thrush.Although too much over enthusiastic lovemaking can cause cystitis it is not a social disease but is often the result of a bad catarrhal infection, kidney stones or hormone pills. Whatever the cause, warmth and rest are essential.
Soothing Essential Oils
You will probably feel so miserable if you are suffering from cystitis that the kindest remedy is a warm bath to which you have added a few drops of oil of pine.To further pamper yourself and help bring about a cure a few drops of cedarwood oil should be rubbed into the lower abdomen, A trick taught me when I was pregnant and very dubious about taking any drugs was to make up the following: a few drops each of essential oil of juniper, pine, parsley and sandalwood in a cup of sunflower oil.This I rubbed into my lower abdomen my lower back and, amazingly, the backs of my knees. Finally hop into a warm bed and keep a well wrapped hot water bottle against the backs of the knees.
Drinks to Bring Relief
* Water Drink lots of` tepid water not before, not during but after you have made love if you are prone to cystitis.
*Chervil, horsetail, shepherd purse and birch leaf A tea of any one of these herbs will bring relief.
* Bilberry leaves Infuse 25g of bilberry leaves in 1 litre pints of boiling water for 15 minutes.Drink 2 or 3 cups daily to ease the pain cystitis.
* Potato water Drink the water from boiled potatoes.
*Sweetcorn Make a tea from the silky tassels of the cob and also eat the fresh vegetable.
* Cherry stalks and peach leaf tea One teaspoon of each in 600ml of water soothes considerly.Cherry stalks were at one time used as diuretic.
* Cherries As well as the stalks the fruit themselves are good for you.If you often suffer from kidney disorders and cystitis frequently recurs make this delicious syrup and drink by the tablespoon.
unrefined cane sugar
Wash the cherries, keeping their stalks on, and put them into a double boiler with the water. Cook gently until The fruit is very soft, helping the process along with a little judicious mashing with a wooden spoon, if necessary Crush a few of the stones and add the kernels to the pan.When the chersez are pulpy strain them through a muslin cloth, squeezing out every last drop of juice.Measure the liquid and for ever 500ml take 250g of sugar Put both in a saucepan and heat gently stirring well, until the sugar has dissolved.Boil gently to a syrupy consistency and bottle in a dry in hot container. Seal tightly.It will keep for quite a long time if refrigerated.
* Marsh mallow A decoction of marsh mallow is often used to help you spend a penny.However in this case it is used to offset the effects of taking antibiotics.1 teaspoon of marsh mallow root to 1 cup of boiling water left to stand for five minutes and then sweetened with honey.