There are many minor ways in which the eyes can become afflicted and which may not require professional advice and the most common of these are soreness, tiredness and irritation, conditions which are easily identihed and dealt with.Pollen dust and dirt are the tiny inliltrators which can make one’s eyes smart and tickle, whilst larger foreign bodies such as lashes, pieces of leaf and insects can create quite diiYerent problems which will require the help of a friend to turn back the eyelid and remove the culprit with the corner of a clean white cloth.Do not poke around in the eye looking For the irritant.Either the naturally produced tears or an eye bath will wash it away without any further damage being done although the eye will continue to feel as though there is a chunk of brick embedded in it.A good blow of the nose will often relieve irritation and weeping eyes.If you are unable to remove a foreign substance, particularly something dangerously nasty a metal shaving or a thorn you should go immediately to the Out Patient Department of your nearest the Hospital.They can usually deal with 3 speedily and effectively thus preventing further damage and infection.
The best lotion for eyes midly irritated by external causes is a ger.solution of warm boiled water and boracic crystals.Two drops of tincture of euphrasia or calendula to 1 cyebatb of warm boiled water are both very effective.A very old ashioned idea which brought tremendous relief to itchy eyes, partilarly to sufferers from hayfever and which is now impractical because Q.pollution was to use sea water. The following eye lotion, however, is a hast alternative. Leave 600ml water to stand uncovered overnight The next day boil it and add 2 level teaspoons of sea salt, stirring well dissolve.Cool and pour into a sterilized bottle and use to bathe the eyes. Whenever you use an eyebath make sure that it is very clean this means pluging it in boiling watr and shaking it dry. Use it on ono eyc only and repeat the cleaning proccss before using it again on the other eye.
Sore eyes Eyes which continually give pain and irritation, are sensitive to sunlight, occasionally blur or water frequently may be the result of an allergy examine the cause for this, particularly in respect to eye make-up. A lack of vitamin B2 may also be the reason for these problems occurring.Two methods of relieving sore eyes are to bathe the lids with cold water and to cover the lids with cold compresses several times a day and at night. Do not rub the eyes when they are painful but instead close them and roll the eyes up, down and around under the lids.
This ambiguous description may cover many aspects from headache to blurred or poor vision.There is no doubt that a poor diet, stress, smoking, lack of sleep, straning the eyes by reading, writing, drawing or doing any close work in a poor Eight over a prolonged period of time and using modern V.D.U. equipment in the wrong conditions will all reduce our clarity ofvision. Ifyou are at all worried take professional advice but remember that stronger and stronger spectacles may not necessarily be the only option available many authorities believe that the eyesight can be improved by diet, exercise and a reorganized lifestyle.Many ofthe eye washes and compresses will soothe and reduce under eye puffiness, dark circles and bags.
Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye which can be caused by an allergy, hayfever, a foreign body in the eye or an infection.The eye becomes red and feels gritty and tired.lt will water and the lids will irritate and become swollen and flaky.There is occasionally also an unpleasant discharge.To reduce the chance of this occurring take scrupulous care to wash the hands before and after touching the eyes.
Always keep cosmetic brushes, pencils and sponges itmmaculately clean and do not use eye make-up if you have an eye infection. If you use an eyebath sterilize it after each eye has been bathed. Use separate compresses of cotton wool for cleaning and soothing one eye at a time and discard immediately after using preferably burn them. If suffering from conjunctivitis it is sensible to seek professional advice, especially in the case of children.
Styes are similar to a slowly developing boil on the upper lid or lower rim of the eye and are often a sign of general debility or, in olcbfashioned parlance a being run down.They are incredibly of painful and can make you feel very low indeed.For long term improvement in health look to the diet and eat plenty of fresh green salads, fruit and strong green vegetables such as spinach.
An infusion of eyebright in milk was used to bathe sore eyes but it is better applied in a lotion of 2 drops of tincture of eye bright to 2 table spoons of rose water and 1 tablespoon of plain warm boiled water. Although this makes zz soothing eyebath it is more effective when soaked into a cotton wool compress.A poultice of fresh steamed cabbage leaves or grated raw potato were two oldditshioned remedies calculated to bring about the speedy dispersal of a stye and so was a bread and milk poultice in other words, any warm Fomen tation which would have a drawing ellect upon the stye and bring it to a head.
I can remember vividly from my own childhood that the three main remedies which were used to cure a stye in our household were an eyebath of warm boracic lotion, a bearably hot cotton wool compress and a perfectly magical unguent called Golden Eye Ointinent which was, I believe, also known as Pulsatilla. However when my mother was not looking my grandmother would slip in to rub the afflicted lid with her golden wedding ring which she swore was the only foolproof remedy.Thank heavens that she had of not heard ofthe one involving the powdered bones of haddock.
Honourable Eyewashes and Compresses
* Tea bags Ordinary Indian tea camomile tea or red raspberry leaf tea bags are all very soothing iflaid warm lids.upon the closed lids.They will help relieve the pain of a stye and reduce will help undereye puftiness. If the tea bags are corny not easily obtainable saturate cotton worl pads in the tea. Rose hip tea bags and papaya tea bags are those most popularly recommended by beauticians to get rid of bags under the eyes.Another old Favourite of the beauty parlour was to lay half a freshly cut fig on the offending sags and bags to magically remove them.
* Witch hazel Make cooling compreses with refrigerated witch hazel to lay on the eyelids but make sure that it is used only externally as it can smart very painfully if it infiltrates beneath the lid. Used under the eyes it will reduce pufliness.
* Honey Take 600ml of boiling water, 1 handful of eyebright and 3 tablespoons of honey. Pour the water over the eyebright and leave until cool strain then dissolve the honey in the infusion. Soak cotton wool pads in this solutions and leave them on the eyes for 20 minutes to relieve soreness.This remedy was also believed to improve the eyesight
* Elderflower water, eyebright or fennel infusions use one of these to bathe the lids when eyes are sore.They are particularly useful remedies if you have managed to burn your eyelids in the sun.
* Lavender One drop each of essential oils of lavender and lemon to 1 teaspoon of boiled water used to bathe the eye externally will ease conjuctivitis styes and inflamed eyelids.
* Chickweed tansy or watercress a handful of any one of these green goodies simmered in a covered pan with 1 cupful of water or milk for five minutes then cooled will make a healing lotion for external use on the eyelids.Strained of excess liquid and placed between muslin all three herbs will also provide soothing warm or cold compresses for eyes tired from overwork, central heating or air conditioning all of which create a feeling of dryness and tension.
* Potatoes Grated raw potato has been used a great deal to ease sore puffy eyelids and reduce undereye puffiness.Either strain the juice from a grated potato and saturate cott.on wool pads with it or lay the grated vegetable on the eye between layers of muslin.Slices of raw potato or a compress of 1 tablespoon of crushed nasturtiurn seed added to 1 tablespoon of grated potato hill soothe swollen eyelids and reduce swelling this is a handy tip if you like to indulge in a good cry.A few tears are good for the eyes but we are told that many will weaken them.
* Apples A sparkle can be brought back to lacklustre eyes by the following method.Infuse 1 tablespoon of mari gold petals in 125ml of boiling water.Strain the liquid then simmer 1 peeled and finely chopped apple in it.when it is soft, drain the apple, allow to cool and when of a comfortable temperature lay it between two layers of gruze. Place on the eyes and leave for 10 minutes.Apple juice which is smooth, silky and rich in pectin can also be used to wipe sore eyes but it must be juice which has been extracted from cooked apple otherwise it will smart too much.A poultice of raw, grated apple has been considered the only method of reducing bruising caused by a blow in
* Carrots A lack of vitamin A can cause poor night vision and as carrots contain a goodly amount of carotene, which is converted to this vitamin in the liver, a large quantity of them in the liver diet was considered to be the definitive answer. A diet which also includes apricots, peaches, good dark green leafy vegetables, red peppers, cod liver oil, prunes, beetroot, egg yolk and butter is even healthier and more sensible. Many old Fashioned diets recommended that teaches and apricots were absolute necessities to improve failing vision asssociated with debility, and I feel sure such a diet would have been the prerogative of the fairly well to do and only obtainable in sun soaked countries and it would seem likely that a winter spent in the sunshine would certainly perk up all one’s faculties.Most goIden things were considered to be beneficial to the sight but one of` the nicest thoughts is that to gaze upon the bright marigold each day would improve vision.it would undoubtedly make you feel more cheerful.
* Mint The juice from freshly crushed mint leaves will help eradicate dark shadows beneath the eyes.
* Castor oil A minute amount of perfectly fresh castor oil smeared along the lids will reduce flaky swelling and irritation but like all oils you should not get it into the eye for it will smart.One tablespoon of castor oil mixed with 2
tablespoons of almond oil is an excellent eye make up remover.
* Alnzond, apricot and coconut oils All of these are good for lubricating the delicate skin around the eyes.Frequent gentle massage will help to arrest and disperse fine lines.
The Gentle Touch
Do not rub sore, tired and irritating eyes for not only might you damage them but they will become red and swollen and you will drag the surrounding soft skin.Try instead the following methods of relieving discomfort.
* Palming Press the base of the palms of the hands gently but firmly over the closed lids and maintain pressure for
* Blinkirzg Blink the eyes several times in rapid succession.Close the eyes and go through the same blinking
* Sunning A little but not too much sun on the eyelids helps to strengthen the eyes but never look into the sun.
* Massage Using a little fine oil and the tips of three fingers stroke gently from the bridge of the nose out across
the eyes beneath and above the brow several times.With linger and thumb pinch the nose beneath the bridge and
maintain the pressure for several seconds then using one linger make a stroking movernent from the bridge of the nose, across the cheek, under use eyes to the temple.These massage movements bring tremendous relief when sinus problems are causing the eyes to ache and when a headache is present.In this instance cold compresses on the region of the eyes and nose will also help to bring relief.