Lupus :: Mirac stops the proliferation of cells that cause Lupus
Lupus is caused by Natural Killer (NK) CD4– and CD8– T-Lymphocytes, also called T cells. These T cells multiply using a potassium gene channel. These same cells cause Diabetes.
(Eur J Immunol. 1990 Apr;20(4):747-51. Autoimmune diseases linked to abnormal K+ channel expression in double-negative CD4-CD8- T cells. Chandy KG, Cahalan MD, Grissmer S. Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine)
By blocking this gene channel, Mirac stops the proliferation of cells that cause Lupus.
(“Defining the Molecular Targets …..” A Research Proposal Submitted to BioSTAR Michael D. Cahalan, K. George Chandy ,Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UCI, Irvine CA)
Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of various parts of the body, especially the skin, joints, blood, and kidneys. The body’s immune system normally makes proteins called antibodies to protect the body against viruses, bacteria, and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens.
In an autoimmune disorder such as lupus, the immune system loses its ability to tell the difference between foreign substances (antigens) and its own cells and tissues. The immune system then makes antibodies directed against “self.” These antibodies, called “auto-antibodies,” react with the “self” antigens to form immune complexes. The immune complexes build up in the tissues and can cause inflammation, injury to tissues, and pain.
Estimates indicate that between 1,400,000 and 2,000,000 people have been diagnosed with lupus. For most people, lupus is a mild disease affecting only a few organs. For others, it may cause serious and even life-threatening problems. Thousands of Americans die each year from lupus-related complications.
(Lupus :: Mirac stops the proliferation of cells that cause Lupus published at SpiritIndia on Tuesday, January 17, 2006)
Search more information on Lupus
Recently posted related articles on Lupus :
- Lupus :: Immunosuppressive drug effective for reducing lupus flares
- Lupus :: Research suggests targeted treatment strategies for lupus
- Lupus :: Existing drugs show promise for treating end-stage renal disease in lupus
- Lupus :: Patients, Physicians Invited to Lupus Education Day
- Lupus :: Gene linked to Lupus
- Lupus :: Preclinical study suggests organ-transplant drug may aid in lupus fight
- Lupus :: Controlling stress helps fight chronic diseases such as lupus
- Lupus :: Research links genetic mutations to lupus
- Lupus :: Despite different triggers of disease, all roads lead to lupus
- Sperm :: Sperm abnormalities seen in male lupus patients